SSBEN is always looking for employers to host students who are studying vocational courses as part of their Higher School Certificate. Work placement acts as a vital link between young people and the world of business. The students that participate are aged between 16 and 19, and are eager to learn from you. Students are placed in an industry of their choice, reflecting the type of work they plan to do after completing their studies.
Many of our host employers find it rewarding to be able to give back to the community and support youth planning to enter their industry. Host employers often find it a useful way to trial potential employees, in fact many of our host employers consider work placement part of their recruitment process. If you would like to know more or register, please click here or on the button below.
Industry Curriculum Framework Courses
- Business Services
- Entertainment Industry
- Financial Services
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Metal & Engineering
- Primary Industries
- Retail Services
- Tourism, Travel and Events
GET STARTED TODAY
BECOME A HOST EMPLOYER
Support your industry and inspire students to embark on a career, in your industry.
Becoming a host employer can be very rewarding, it’s a great opportunity to get involved in the career development and training of young people entering your industry. Students are unpaid, so hosting is also a cost effective way to increase your resources.
How many students will I host?
The choice is yours. Students usually spend a week with an employer. Each employer usually hosts students depending on their business requirements, from 1 per term to weekly.
What about Insurance?
Insurance requirements are arranged by the relevant education sector at no cost to your business. You are not required to change your insurance or SAFEWork NSW arrangements. Certificate of Currency available on request.
How do I get involved?
Participating in the program is really simple. To get started click here to register, just input your details and we’ll be in touch shortly.
Can I select the start date?
Yes, you are able to specify your ideal times to host work placements.
Our professional staff will assist you complete Host Agreements annually, at a convenient time and place.
- For many employers it’s an extra pair of hands during busy times, as students come with some prior knowledge and skills
- Students are volunteers, which provides you with additional labor at no cost
- The opportunity to identify potential employees. This can be particularly useful in industries with skills shortages
- Work placement is a fantastic opportunity for employers that have a focus on social responsibility
- Strengthen your links with the community and raise your business profile
- You choose when and how often you can host
- Hosting students is a great opportunity to increase the supervisory, training and mentoring skills within your team
- Students are fully insured so there are no changes to your insurance
- You are under no obligation to continue, and can opt out at any time
- Networking opportunities with like-minded business owners throughout the year
WHAT IS VOCATIONAL EDUCATION & TRAINING (VET)?
Vocational education and training (VET) is nationally accredited training in job related and technical skills. VET enables students to gain qualifications for all types of employment, and specific skills to help them in the workplace. The VET sector is crucial to the Australian economy for the development of the national workforce.
- Register by clicking the button below
- One of our consultants will visit your work place and meet with you, providing you with an information pack
- We will assist you to become a member of the Work Placement program
- You will be notified by email 3 weeks prior to each students commencement date
- Your work placement student will contact you the week prior to commencement to reconfirm details
- On the first day of work placement you will complete an induction and assign a supervisor to the student
- During the week of work placement a teacher from the school will visit or call to check on the progress of the student
- At the end of the week, the student will request you sign their journal and provide feedback on their performance
- The team at SSBEN are here to support you and are happy to answer any queries
Employer Tips For Success
- Provide an induction to introduce the student to their supervisor and ensure they understand your companies work, health, and safety procedures
- Discuss what skills the student has up-front and also what they are interested in learning more about, this will ensure you can maximise their effectiveness during the work placement
- Provide the student with clear instructions on what you need them to do, and invite them to ask questions throughout the day
- Have realistic expectations on the students level of skill, and provide appropriate duties
- It’s always a good idea to save up tasks during the weeks leading up to the work placement so you have plenty for them to do
- Establish the best time for your business to host students. Consider staffing levels for supervision, and select times that an extra pair of hands would be useful
Insurance Certificates of Currency
Host Employer Guide
Student Induction Checklist
Business Services Resource
Featured Host Employer
Graziers Grill House, Caringbah Hotel
Caringbah Hotel Bistro has recently been renovated and rebranded as Graziers Grill House. Head Chef Holly Hill talks to us about the benefits of work placement to the venue.
I believe knowledge should be shared as often as possible. Hosting students gives my team a chance to teach and pass on their skills and information learnt. It helps us in refining our training skills as chefs and allows students to work out if a career in this industry is really for them.
Stay in touch with the latest news, updates and jobs by joining our mailing list. Simply input your email address and press the submit button.